IVF is known as in vitro fertilization and it is an infertility treatment generally used for women. IVF may also be used for infertility treatment in men and the technique may be performed by using your own eggs and sperms. Donated eggs or sperms may also be used or the IVF doctors may combine the techniques of both.
In the USA, there are esteemed clinics like Cha Fertility Center that help several women get successfully treated for infertility through IVF techniques. The Cha IVF doctors devise a customized treatment program ideal for your needs. The IVF techniques will vary as per your individual circumstances and approach taken by your doctor. Before the treatment starts, you and your partner need to sign some consent forms. If applicable both of you may also need to conduct some blood tests as well for checking HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and the lymphotropic virus of human cells HTVL I and HTVL II.
The IVF treatment for women generally involves the following stages:
- Suppressing the monthly natural hormone cycle – This is the first step of the treatment process. A drug will be given to you for suppressing your natural cycle. This also can be done by yourself in the form of a nasal spray or a daily injection. This treatment takes place for around 15 days.
- Increasing the supply of eggs: The next step involves you being injected with a special type of fertility hormone called gonadotrophin. This needs to be taken in the form of a daily injection for approximately 12 days. This hormone increases the number of eggs that you produce.
- Tracking progress: Your treatment process will be tracked by the experts via ultrasound scans and blood tests. Between 34-38 hours before your eggs are to be collected, you will be administered an injection that would boost your eggs to get matured. This hormone is called human chorionic gonadotrophin of hCG in short.
- Egg collection: The eggs are collected with the aid of ultrasound guidance under sedation. Here, a hollow needle will be attached to the ultrasound probe and used for the collection of eggs from each of the ovary follicles. During this process, you may get cramps or feel sore or bruised. There is a possibility of vaginal bleeding too. Once, this is done, you will be given medication to prepare your womb for the transfer of the embryo.
- Fertilization: Your eggs are usually mixed with the sperm of your partner or donor. It is cultured for 16 to 20 days in the laboratory. During this phase the eggs are checked for fertilization. The fertilized eggs called embryos will be grown in incubators till 6 days. They will be tested and the best will be chosen by Cha Fertility experts for transfer.
- Transfer of Embryo: If you are under 40, one or two embryos may be transferred and if you are over 40 a maximum of three embryos are generally transferred.
With you being in the hands of the expert doctors at the fertility center, experiencing the bliss of motherhood won’t be a far-fetched dream anymore.