So you have a missing tooth? That can be a problem, as the adjacent teeth can drift into the empty space and you can end up with even more uneven teeth. Underneath, the lack of pressure on the jawbone can lead to bone loss. If this missing tooth is anywhere near the front, then your smile will no longer be as attractive as it once was. Good thing there areexperienced periodontists who can place dental implants to replace your missing teeth.
The concept of dental implants is quite simple. Instead of removable dentures or dental bridges that may damage nearby teeth, the periodontist can instead place a titanium post through the gums and into the jawbone. This becomes the foundation for the dental crown, which will be placed once the titanium post has integrated into your jawbone.
After that, the dentist will place the porcelain crown on top of the dental implant and you will then have your natural-looking replacement for your missing tooth. If you’re missing a lot of teeth and you need dentures, then the dentures can actually be supported by dental implants instead.
There are lots of advantages to using dental implants.
- The dental implant looks and feels natural. It feels natural because you don’t have bridge supports or plastic parts on your gums that make your mouth feel stuffed and awkward.
- You don’t have to go through a stage when you have to relearn how to speak without any speech defects. Since the dental implants feel natural, it’s as if you got your original tooth back.
- You’re no longer in fear that when you laugh out loud your dentures will slip or detach out of place. This can be a nightmare scenario, when it happens while you’re pitching an important deal with a client or you’re trying to impress your date. But with dental implants, the teeth remain securely in place no matter what. So you can feel secure and smile around other people, knowing that there’s no way you’ll embarrass yourself with dislodged dentures.
- Denture need to be removed when you clean them. You may have to remove them too when you sleep. But you don’t need to remove implants at all, and in fact you actually can’t. You can just brush and floss your replacement teeth instead, as if they’re real teeth.
- You don’t get bits of food stuck on your gums when you’re wearing dental implants.
- Generally, after a few years you need to have your bridges and dentures replaced. That’s because they won’t fit as well eventually. But dental implants are designed to last a lifetime.
- Periodontists are skilled in dental implant therapy and these procedures are generally successful. In fact, it has a 98% success rate.
- Now you may think that having someone screw in an implant into your jawbone through your gums is quite painful. But the truth is that there’s really very little discomfort involved. For most people, it actually involves less pain than when a tooth is extracted. Once the dental implant is in, if you’re feeling a bit sore you can just take Tylenol for the pain.
If you have lost a tooth or two, consider going to a dentist to see if you can be a candidate for a dental implant. It’s simply the bestoption to replace missing teeth.