The kitchen is the heart of the home – it is an area where a lot of work is done, where conversations are constant and where family memories are created. The kitchen, therefore, should not just be a very practical area, it should also be a cosy and attractive place. Kitchens are not always easy to decorate and design, and for good reason.
Without a doubt, it needs to have a great worktop. The worktop is not only where a lot of the effort is exerted, it’s also an eye-catcher and a solid focus around which the rest of the kitchen décor revolves. Choosing the right worktop, therefore, is one of the most important decisions to make. But where do you start? Here’s your guide to worktop options for a practical and attractive kitchen.
Prepare a budget
Your budget is important, so think about it carefully, and set your limits. On the other hand, there’s no need for you to be extra stingy; you can think of re-organising your kitchen as a long-term project. Prepare your budget and stick to it for the short-term; but have a long-term plan that makes sense. The kitchen is too important to cut corners.
Examine your materials
The materials you use in your kitchen will determine not only the look and feel of the place, but also your budget and the expected lifespan of the items you install. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Laminate – It’s a wooden core with a veneer covering. It’s easy to install, and it’s the cheapest as well. It’s also lightweight and comes in a variety of colours.
- Ceramic tiles – This is also inexpensive, and comes in a variety of designs and colours. It’s easy to clean and more durable than the laminate.
- Solid surface – A combination of acrylic and polyester, it’s durable and easy to clean.
- Granite – More durable and long-lasting, and uniquely patterned as well. It also has classic beauty and style, as you can see from the selection of granite worktops at www.jrstone.co.
- Engineered stone – Quartz is similar to granite, but can be engineered according to your own requirements.
Above all, the kitchen needs to be practical. But there’s nothing wrong with making your kitchen look good. It’s wise to have an overall plan, and mix or contrast with aesthetics in mind.
It’s also wise to consider your new kitchen worktop as an investment – a great worktop will not only ensure great times in the kitchen, it will also ensure an easy-to-maintain area in the kitchen that will save you lots of time and effort. Furthermore, don’t forget that installing a great worktop improves your kitchen significantly, and this automatically raises the value of your home. It’s an important decision, so be wise and take your time – think it through.