A clogged drain can quickly turn into a disaster. While a minor clog can easily be removed, bigger clogs cannot. When a big clog happens, it can keep water from going down your drain leading to backups. You will always want to make sure that you look for the signs of a clogged drain and deal with it as soon as possible.
How to Tell if Your Drain Is Clogging
Fortunately, our plumbing system gives us warnings before the clog becomes so bad that it will not drain. If you see any of the following things, you will want to act immediately.
- Slow drains. If your drains are draining slowly, there is a clog forming somewhere down the line.
- Horrid smell. If you smell a horrible smell coming from your drain lines, this is an indicator that there is a clog.
- If you hear any gurgling or strange noises, this is a sign of a clogged drain.
- If you use your bathroom sink and then see water backing up into your bathtub, you have a clog.
How to Treat a Minor Clog
There are several methods that you can use to help treat a minor clog. Minor clogs are easier to remove than major clogs. Be sure to keep a plunger on hand at all times to help mitigate this sort of thing. Some of these minor clogs might include the following:
- If the clog is a minor one, you may be able to get it out with a plunger. You will want to make sure that you have the right kind of plunger for the job. A plunger that is made just for toilets may make it more difficult to get a clog out of a sink. Getting a plunger with a bigger flange can help.
- You can also get the clog out with an auger, but you will need to be careful not to damage your pipes. You should also make sure that you use the right kind of auger for the job. For example, if your toilet is clogged, you will want to make sure that you use an auger that is designed for toilets.
- Drain cleaning. Sometimes, you can remove a clog by using baking soda and vinegar or using hot dish soap. You should avoid chemical drain cleaners. These may unclog your pipes, but they can also cause a lot of damage.
How to Treat a Major Clog
The best way to treat a major clog is to contact a plumbing company. They will be able to come out and clean your drains properly. They can find the exact location of the clog and ensure that it is removed without having to use chemicals or put your plumbing at risk. Contacting a plumbing company is a great idea when you have a major clog.
If you notice that you are getting a clog, fast treatment is imperative. If you are unable to remove the clog yourself, call your local plumber to assist you.
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)